Dwarf red hardy azalea or other winter interest plants

turquoise(5)September 5, 2010

Hi everyone, I'd like to add a small azalea to our front bed. It's Northern exposure and gets morning sun, although this particular patch doesn't seem to get a lot. The area borders on our neighbor's large pine tree.

I ran across the "dwarf red hardy azalea" which claims to have bright red foliage all winter. Is that really true in Zone 5? Can you recommend another good dwarf azalea or similar plant which would add some interest in the winter?

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

To preface my comment: All azaleas are rhododendrons, but not all rhododendrons are azaleas. Azaleas are a subset of rhododendrons.

Most azaleas are not evergreen in Wisconsin (or Minnesota). If the tag says zone 5 as the cold end of hardiness, my guess is that it will have nice red fall color, and then drop the leaves in December. Only an educated guess, though...

Rick

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drcntyaah(z5 WI)

I live in Z5 in Wis. I have had 3 pink azaleas for 9 years. One of them is slowly dying although it did have some blooms this spring. But its leaves are all gone now. Probably will have to replace it next summer.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Soil bed prep
can I use a thick layer of compost to kill off weeds...
mcbartz
Christmas cactus
Just wanted to show my cactus off. :) Believe it is...
gardeningmomof3
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
wanted weeping willow tree cuttings
Does anyone have a tree that I can get some cuttings? I...
happytomato2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™