Privacy Hedges

nathandees(7)July 22, 2010

Can someone tell me, what is a good fast-growing privacy hedge acceptable to plant in residential areas in Dallas? We live in a hilly neighborhood, so fences don't really block the view from houses further up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magoo1(7)

Red tip Photinia is what I suggested to our kids, who live across the circle from us...you can see 1/2 of their entire back yard from 30 ft away....really drops off badly.The photinia has a really fast growth rate...easy to keep shaped...grows to about 30 ft, I think. Really pretty shrub.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 5:01PM
granburyflowergirl(7)

I pondered this question for a long time, in 2007, I ended up investing in about 60 Emerald Thujas that were supposed to grow very quickly to 20 feet. They have been very slow growing and are still at only 3.5' tall :-(.

If I had it to do over, I would plant small trees every 15' with shrubs beneath them. If I had done that in 2007, I would have complete privacy by now.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 6:42PM
whitecap

It is not for nothing that red tip is the hedge shrub of choice where it does well. I read, though, that it is hardy only to zone 8. Waxleaf has fallen from favor, and is considered unimaginative, but it does grow like the dickens, and will withstand neglect well. Much more hardy than hollies.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 8:43PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Red Tip photinia would certainly be the fastest growing, but they are susceptible to fungus, and just when they get to the right size they may get it and it will kill them - there is no cure and then you'd have to start over. Chinese photinia might be a better choice, but they don't grow as fast. Yaupon hollies grow pretty fast, and although crape myrtles are deciduous, they grow fast too. You'd have the winter with no leaves, but the bare branches would offer some privacy. Maybe look at wax myrtle too. Whatever you decide on try to get the largest specimens you can find and afford. They will get to the height you need faster, and you won't be as prone to planting them too close together.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 9:05PM
whitecap

I've lost one red tip, out of 20, to fungus in the last 19 years.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™