What is this?

potterhead2(z5b NY)June 1, 2010

I don't know what forum I'm supposed to use, so I'm hoping you guys can help. I found this growing in a fairly shady area area behind my camper (dappled woods). I know I've seen this before but can't remember what it is. Any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I think it is a columbine. Just guessing - the species could be Aquilegia brevistyla, small flowered columbine.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 7:35PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

If you found it in NY we are a little too far south for A. bevistyla. Most likely A. vulgaris, or European Columbine.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 10:06PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I live in Western NY State. Other than the Aquilegia canadensis, I've never seen any other wild columbine varieties growing around here.

And the OP's plant looks very similar, although a smidgen paler blue/purple, to the columbine I have scattered throughout many gardens. The previous home owner planted it and so it is a cultivated variety of Aquilegia vulgaris commonly found at nurseries and garden centers. The variety I have self-sows very vigorously - the reason it ends up in many gardens and wild areas about my place. I too would say Aquilegia vulgaris.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Help Identifying Woodland Vine
Would be very grateful if someone can help me identify...
LongMountainMom
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™