How to ween overwatered tomatoes..Plants look OK right now.

phelansmomJuly 19, 2012

After reading a tomato book for fun today I realized I might be overwatering (2.5 gallons of water every 3 days)..they are planted individually in 25 gallon Black fabric Smart Pots. Plants look pretty healthy with tons of blossoms plus a few leaves with leaf curl particularly my Sunset's Red Horizon. The Chocolate Amazon and Snow White Cherry Tomato is starting to fruit so I am panicking that my oversight will cause the tomatoes to crack..this happened to me last year and now I know why.

I have purchased a water meter but how do I ween the plants? Sidenote the plants are faceing southwest near my fence..I was worried about reflective heat plus weather has been 92-102 degrees for weeks so used cheesecloth to offer shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

if there looking good and there is no problems i would say keep doing what your doing. the book was written before smart pots came around. i dont use them but they look like they would use more water anyways.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 8:25PM
macbettz

Get the plants to a meeting and make sure they keep in contact with their sponsor.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:30AM
Nunyabiz1(7)

In 25 gallon smart pots it would be IMPOSSIBLE to over water unless you have them in some heavy regular soil then maybe.

But large smart pots in potting mix? You can water 2+ gallons a day every day.
I only have 15 gallon pots not smart pots but they drain very well and in potting mix and I water mine every single day 7 days a week and when its over 95 I water at least twice a day.

You can get a little cracking on top but when it is this hot you really don't have much choice.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:36AM
phelansmom

I am using Black Gold potting soil. I will start checking the soil with a moisture meter..hopefully that will help.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 12:05PM
Nunyabiz1(7)

That could be your problem if indeed you have a problem.

Should always use "Potting Mix" not "Soil"
The mix drains WAY better.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™