cutting back roses

garciafaJuly 7, 2011

can you cut roses back in october i live in navasota,tx

i am taking vacation at the end of that month and i have some that havn't been pruned in years their about 5x5ft .

they are the knock out roses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melvalena

You can prune knock out roses anytime you want. :)

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 1:09PM
soxxxx

Would it be okay to prune a mutablis (butterfly) rose now?
The bush is about 4x4 feet. The leaves have become so sparse and the woody stems are so noticable. It has had plenty of water.

When I visited Fredericksberg recently, the ones that I saw there were so healthy. Is this a rose that maybe likes a more alkaline soil? My soil is East Texas acidic.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 3:47PM
holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas

Soxxxx - My Mutabilis is a bit sparse right now, too. It think it's a bit too hot for it. (Nights in Fredricksburg are cooler.) I think it will bounce back when it cools off some. Not sure I'd prune a plant that's already a bit stressed.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 8:55PM
denisew(z8 TX)

I prune my shrub roses back towards the end of July by 1/3 to promote a flush of blooms in the fall. This is what a well known rose aficionado told me to do. I have two Knockouts, one Mrs. B.R. Cant, one Carefree Beauty and one Square Dancer in my yard that will look fabulous in the fall after a heavy pruning like that. I use my hedge clippers and then clean up a bit with my small hand held pruner. Any of the EarthKind roses (Mutabilis, Knockout, Carefree Beauty, etc.) should be pruned lightly in mid-summer and heavily in mid-February (cut back by 1/2 - 2/3) to keep them from getting too large and promote a heavy flush of blooms and still have blooms the rest of the season.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 9:41PM
zippity1

i wouldn't trim them back in oct, but i would trim them back now
i pruned an abraham darby about 10 days ago by well over a third of the bush it's putting out healthy new growth already, also i pruned a "la biche" last summer and it's looking great

the july august edition of Neil Sperry's gardens recommends you prune them 1/3 to 1/2 NOW-- if you wait til oct it might not take to winter well on that new growth also i did some pruning a couple of weeks on an sdlm (another old garden rose) and it's very happy
i do water them well and set up a drip irrigation system and keep it going til they get really good growth going
my drip irrigation is a huge plastic bucket with a tiny hole in the bottom i fill the bucket every day and set it close to the plant and i put a tiny bit of miracle grow in the water just a very tiny bit

my roses have never been happier not one bit of black spot or mildew this year but my water bill is huge

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 9:42PM
garciafa

thanks to everyone, will be getting out there soon to start cutting back

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™