BIG leaves.... water or fertilizer?

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)July 25, 2011

What have you determined will make big leaves on "leaf only" plants, water or fertilizer? I have a selloum philodendron in the ground and the leaves are only 5" long although when I bought it several years ago, it had huge leaves three times that size. I've given it liquid fertilizer a few times this year, it gets plenty of water. Am I not giving it enough fertilizer? Also, my hydrangia is the same... small leaves and it never did get very big this year. I'm stumped.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

It's probably the cold winter that keeps the leaves small on the selloum. Mine had huge leaves until it died back this winter. This was the first time it has ever died back and the leaves are just now getting larger, but not nearly as large as they were last year. I never fertilize it, but might try that this fall.

My hydrangea was slow to come back this year too and has stayed small. It may be that we got hot very early this spring and that slowed it down.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Might be too much direct sun.

I replanted similar plants under the dappled shade of an oak tree and the leaves all increased in size, but also, the hard freeze set them back a bit this year early, but they are now coming on larger.

Kt

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™