chaemaebatiaria millefolium

davids10 z7a nv.July 12, 2014

a 6ft raggedy ass disreputable sort of thing until it blooms-wonderful scent and a favorite of the little pollinators

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

What is it? it would be welcomed in my garden if it could deal with the elements. I like raggedy ass.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:14PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

OH yea, dumb me , It is in the the thread title.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:17PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Do you know of people growing it in areas with hotter winters? Every one is in Z 6 or 7 that I here talking about it. I sit in 8b. I lone its fern leaves and form, TXRanger, are you successful with it?

David, how is your treatment of it?

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:24PM
davids10 z7a nv.

wantonamara it grows in the hottest driest sunniest area. last summer it went for a couple of months with no water, wasnt happy but came through. its native to california mountains pretty much north to south.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:18AM
ocgf(Z8)

Ahhh!, Very nice!

Omar

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:30AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

What kind of soil do you have it in ? if you get seed, I would be interested in some. We are probably too hot AND humid. But I could try.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 1:54

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:12AM
TexasRanger10(7)

That is one I've wanted for some time. I had my order all filled out when High Country Gardens threw everything on markdown before closing their doors and realized I'd waited 30 minutes too long when I turned in my order at 12:30am on the last day--and missed it. Still makes me crazy to this day and THAT PLANT was #1 on my list. Its a very slow grower but I think it would do OK here. Its mature height is 8 ft and its evergreen in warm climates.

I like the leaves very much. Great Basin Natives carries it for a reasonable price and Jaedite in NM bought one, I think, at PoSW. I haven't ordered it since the spot I had in mind originally now has a desert holly growing in it.

It would take forever from seed. I'd order from Great Basin, you can get a gallon sized plant for $9.95. They are great to order from, its a real small outfit.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:31PM
davids10 z7a nv.

texas ranger: i bought mine in kanab utah as a 3 in pot-local grocery store with a great nursery-not worth a special trip-but if you are there. . . . this is its 4th year-first 2 winters died back to the ground. if i gave it more water i think it would be a moderate grower once established. it was another of fendlers discoveries-that guy was all over. the plant smells like desert rain.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:07PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

OH now , you've done it, David . I am jumping in the car and driving there right now to small that desert rain. Primal stuff.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:15

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Illustration of the Perseverance of the Old Fashioned Iris
Last summer, I got a bunch of irises from an old house...
sylviatexas2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™