Poison Ivy x posted
Hello, I just identified the viney plant that grows behind and around my son's playhouse as poison ivy. The spot we chose for the playhouse before we put it together was an extremely overgrown with shrubs, trees and vines area that I cleaned up in the winter and early spring before the trees, shrubs and vines leafed out.The ivy had wrapped around most trees in that area and almost all branches and I patiently pulled the dormant stems one by one. Some of them had dried up bluberry looking black fruit on them. Then we put the playhouse together and put it under a tree in that area because it was the perfect spot for it and I thought it would keep it shady and cool in the summer.Now that I've identified the vine as poison ivy i won't let my son play there until i kill it. Here comes my question. Since I would rather pull it out than spray with chemicals do you think it's safe to assume that since I had prolonged contact with it while dormant in the winter without protecting myself with nothing more than regular gardening gloves, does that mean I'm immune to it? Or do you think since there were no leaves and it was cold i just got lucky? I did not wear long sleeves as even though it was cold I was working hard and was hot. I am very tempted to just pull it out the same way I did in the winter. Thank you in advance for any advice!
I also posted this in tips and techniques