burning brush

organic-kiki(Zone 6)June 26, 2006

Our land is next to a game reserve and they burn off underbrush every so often.....what purpose does this serve, anyone know? This is in very small areas as the whole reserve covers 35,000 acres.

Kiki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandmapoo(z8 S.Texas)

From my understanding, a "controlled" burn can be done for several reasons, two of which are: eliminating the possibility of a forest fire in dry or dense areas and also a controlled burn will cause the burned out area to grow back rich and fertile.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 10:31AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Yup, the controlled burn does as grandmapoo said - reduces the fuel load to prevent uncontrolled fires. A fire stimulates native plant growth that is good wildlife habitat. Fire also helps control invasive shrubby growth that is not adapted to fire. Invasive shrubby growth can overtake wildlife habitat, decreasing diversity making it less friendly for critters.

They do it in very small areas - probably in order to keep it under control. I imagine the have an alternating rotation on the areas that are burned.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 10:53AM
gw:organic-kiki

Invasive shrubby growth, now that sounds like what I want to do away with in my yard, lol. Don't think I'll be burning it off, tho.

If this makes for more fertile land won't the invasive plants come back full force? I'm just curious as I used to hike and horseback ride and see the things they were doing. Don't get out there as much now.....sigh.
Kiki

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 12:34PM
grandmapoo(z8 S.Texas)

Actually it allow seeds to sprout, that wouldn't be able to under dense conditions.
Kiki, I actually do use some of the shrubs in my woods in my woodland garden, but keep them trimmed and manageable. :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 12:40PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Invasive alien species are not adapted to fire and generally they are killed because they don't have the thick bark or deep root systems that the native plants have developed over thousands of years evolving with fire...

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 3:44PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I sure would love to burn some areas in my woodlands, but it would be just too hard to be sure it didn't take off and destroy everything.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 9:18PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Yes, in order to burn a woodland (or any land really) you have to pay strict attention to fuel load and weather conditions.

Catherine, there are professionals who land owners can hire to do a burn for them. They would evaluate the property, construct the proper fire breaks and bring in a trained crew to do the burn.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 11:16AM
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

A small game reserve near me burns undergrowth to stimulate the growth of native grasses for wild turkey chicks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 3:45PM
mkrkmr

Jones & Foote in "Gardening with Native Wild Flowers" recommend burning for maintaining meadows for similar reasons that grandmapoo and joepyeweed have said. Meadows here in the SE would revert to forest otherwise.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
Trouble with growing mayapples
I have had good success with many woodland natives,...
linda_schreiber
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Sponsored Products
2545 Illuminator Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lightology
Bocci | 21.5 Five Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Pickens T-Shape Grab Bar
Signature Hardware
Progress Lighting Track Lighting Illuma-Flex Brushed Nickel 1-light Spotlight
$51.21 | Home Depot
Black Jazz Adjustable Height Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture