Surviving perennials for dappled shade

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)July 25, 2011

I like the other post on "Perennials for dry heat" but I did notice most of the plants were sun-loving. I live in an older neighborhood with a lot of shade so am wondering what works for you. For me:

Turk's cap

various euphorbia

aspidistra

oakleaf hydrangia

begonia (boring)

caladium

mother-in-laws tongue

spider lily

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

Gardener 972, I grow columbine and hellebore in partial shade, and turks cap as well. At this point, really do wish I had more shade in our back yard, we do have a huge oak tree off the patio but parts are in full sun.

The front yard is a different story, we had to have our oak trees really trimmed up as we've been losing the grass big time!

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 1:11PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Besides some already mentioned above, I have pigeonberry, solomon's seal, toad lily, and rock rose in partial shade.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 1:44PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Dahlia does well in shade

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:02PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

Right now, all of my potted plants are in the shade of my oak trees and they're very happy to be there!

As for in-ground perennials, Katie ruellia would work, I have the dwarf version in pots in the shade and in the ground by the house's foundation. Horseherb is a good groundcover, but I'm not sure how it's taking the heat...it may have gone dormant on me.

I'm not sure why, but it's harder to find plants that take shade and are perennials. I've had more success with keeping my tropical potted plants spread around the shaded areas than trying to plant underneath the trees. The only problem is lugging them to/from the greenhouse, and setting up the greenhouse, every winter.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:58PM
Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)

Yes, ruellia works for me also. Great plant though one has to stay on top of it spreading.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 8:52PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Shrimp plant might be borderline hardy for Dallas, but if you can grow it you'll find it's great in dappled shade. The D garden says it's hardy down to 10 degrees. It had no problem caming back for us in San Antonio after our unusually cold winter last year.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 10:32PM
ruthz

My verbena bonariensis and John Fanick phlox is doing good as long as I water about every 2nd or 3rd day.
This is my first year to have both.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 2:15PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Shrimp plant comes back in North Texas, Roselee, and I would vote for it as well........love this plant.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 4:00PM
cynthianovak

carrie....really?
I have the lemon lollipops. I dig them and they die back in my greenhouse every winter. I plant the roots and stems each March they are GORGEOUS now. They seem to want a little more sun than dappled.

I wondered about leaving them inground, but since I plant tulips in the same bed I've never tried.

Have you tried the lemon?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 7:09PM
cynthianovak

I have salvia black and blue, as well as strawberry euyonymus. I haul in tropicals too! Pink Plume plant, Marakas, oooooh some of the ornamental peppers are happy in dappled too! Chili piccine returns and is beautiful by fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry bush

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 7:14PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have the lemon lollypop, Cynthia, as well as the "shrimp" colored one. They both return each year. The lemon was large and in full bloom when the hail demolished it, but it is coming back now. They made it through last winter with very little mulch on them.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 11:40PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

iris, mexican oregano, salvia gregii, salvia regla, Euphorbia rigida, iron plant, wandering jew, sedum palmerii, Sago palm. I do not water...I have no water to water. Aloe grandietada, Aloe saponaria, Aloe greatheadi

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 2:39AM
More Discussions
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™