Removing the stuck blossom on developing tomatoes

sharonrossyJuly 14, 2014

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but in order to avoid or reduce cat facing, those blossoms that stick to the developing tomatoes, sometimes in weird places on the fruit, should those be removed or left alone?

I was just checking my plants, finally getting some decent fruit going, and I can see that some are going to have cat-facing. I also see the blossoms stuck and wondered about it. When I looked up cat facing it mentions that it happens when the blossom sticks because of cooler temps during development. Although we had a couple of cool nights, I guess it must have had some effect. So do I leave well enough alone?

Thanks, always something to learn!
Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla1(5)

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to your question.

Personally, if I can see the tomato and the blossom is just stuck on the end of the fruit, I'll remove the blossom in a gentle manner. If the blossom won't come off, I'll just leave it.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:26PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Those clinging blossoms on developing fruit will fall of eventually, so just leave them alone.

They have nothing at all to do with catfacing since that occurs when blossoms are pollinated under several circumstances, and without pollination and fruit set you wouldn't have the nice immature fruits that you have right now. ( smile)

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:05PM
sharonrossy

Thanks, I figured as much. Also heirloom tomatoes aren't meant to be picture perfect as far as I can tell.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™