Pride of Barbados Not Blooming

lostribeJuly 13, 2014

I got a container Pride of Barbados last year. I am in Dallas. We had a hard winter. I had it covered for part of it but then gave up and just mulched it real good. It survived. It looks healthy and is over two feet tall and about 3 feet wide, but it is now mid-July and it has not bloomed or made seed pods. Last year when I had it, it had a couple of seed pods and was blooming (orange). I have put Callaway's fertilizer pellets for blooming plants on the soil and watering it daily. Does it take some special fertilizer to bloom or something? I know I am a bit far north to keep these in optimum health.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

Mine has been in ground for several years, maybe 4 or 5 and had it's first blooms today. They go from buds to blooms in a week, so you will be seeing some color soon.

I treat mine like everything else in that garden area. About an inch of water a week and rare fertilizer. I hit it with alfalfa pellets in March. Mine is about 6 feet tall right now.

I was so relieved to see it come up after this past winter. My brugs finally came up in early July.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:26PM
Kachana

pkponder,

I would love to see a picture of your Pride of Barbado. I'm starting a few from seeds, and you're giving me hope that they can grow and thrive in the DFW area.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:49PM
PKponder TX(7b)

Here ya go Kachana. I've had this one in ground, southern exposure and protected by houses for 4 years. It freezes to the roots and comes back every spring. I do put about a 12 inch layer of mulch over her in the fall after first freeze.

Today she is taller than me, so about 6'

a really pretty native Turks Cap

Leadwort, AKA Hardy Plumbago ...love this stuff in the shade!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:17PM
Kachana

Very pretty! The Turk's cap looks really pretty also. Thanks for sharing all these pictures.

I guess it's not possible to get the pride of Barbados to grow as a tree as it dies every winter? I was hoping to grow and prune one as a shade tree.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:39PM
PKponder TX(7b)

Only if you like shade in a tall greenhouse. I have seen another tree similar that is huge, growing in a yard in Granbury. I'll find the name and edit this post.

I searched and searched...I saw this particular tree at Stewart's Nursery in Weatherford last spring, but cannot find the name for the life of me.

This post was edited by pkponder on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:41

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:14PM
Kachana

LOL @ the shade tree in a greenhouse!

Thanks for trying. I was at a friend's house last night, and in her neighborhood, I saw a huge mimosa tree (similar leaves). Could that be the one you were thinking of?

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 11:46AM
PKponder TX(7b)

No, this was no mimosa. It has yellowish orange blooms similar in look to POB, but was really a huge tree. The trunk itself had a 3-5 foot circumference. If you ever get to Granbury, this tree is west of the square, in a neighborhood near the school bus depot. It has green branches and part of the trunk was a green color also with what appeared to be thorns all over the trunk. I never stopped to ask what it was, but saw one last spring at Stewart's Nursery for $99.

I need to make a road trip and get pictures :-)

I think it is a palo verde tree.

This post was edited by pkponder on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:25

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™