big huge bush I.D.

smokey27July 28, 2005

I have 5 acres in western wa, all of my property is covered with a "bush"/small tree thats about 15 feet tall and the trunks are about 4 inches in diameter, there is about 5-10 trunks per "clump" the leaves and trunk look like red alder but they're not. the wood is super dense. I cut one off 4 feet up from the ground it was about 3.5 inches in diameter and it had 16 growth rings.

what are these?

thanks, Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

We need more info

Are the leaves opposite or alternate, toothed or smooth, lobed or entire. Are the leaves round, oval, long, egg shaped or heart shaped? Is the base of the leaf heart leaved, plain or does it have extensions unto the leaf stem? Do the leaves have petioles (little stems) or attached directly to the stem? Are the leaf veins netted or parallel? Are the leaves hairy? Is the stem hairy? Are there any thorns?

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 7:59PM
smokey27

the leaves and trunk look like red alder

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 5:17AM
phacops(central PA)

I'm not familiar with red alder, but your description of the tree, and its location being in PA, leads me to think of Autumn Olive. That tree was one of several shrubs heavily distributed by state agencies (none of which is taking any credit, now, for doing so) in the 50s and 60s; those plants are now taking over much pasture land in the sate. See http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/elgum.htm for some info and pictures. If the plant is really Autumn Olive you do want to get rid of it, a difficult task. The trees sprouts readily from the stump and the fruit is loved by birds, which, of course, readily spread the seed. I have read that the fruit is quite delicious but I have never been able to get to tree and get some before the birds get to it. And at this point I'd rather be rid of the tree.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
Need to correct landscaping around mature oak trees
We recently bought a home in west suburban Chicagoland...
John Witte
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
Sponsored Products
Tannery Bronze Mini Pendant 1-Light
$56.00 | PLFixtures
Payton Pool Table Light - H-2850/D-77
$880.20 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Settee Glider
$299.99 | zulily
New Age Industrial Carts & Stands 18 in. D x 36 in. L x 30 in. H 2-Shelf Mobile
Home Depot
"Golden Scrolls" Credenza
$3,089.00 | Horchow