Actea Rubra, Red Baneberry

arcy_gwJuly 7, 2007

A few months ago I was asking for help identifying a volunteer to my woodland garden. I think I found it. Red Baneberry! I am excited to have a name. I sure love this plant. I looked but found very little information on it on the web. Anyone have experience with it? Anything I should know. I read the berries are poisonous and it is natural to the north, but that is about all the information I found.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

My berries have ripened and they sure are dramatic. The berries are indeed poisonous hence the bane in the common name. It is also known as red cohosh. The other baneberry is Actea pachypoda, common name of doll's eyes or white cohosh. I have the rubracarpa form of this with reddish instead of white fruit.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 10:23PM
arcy_gw

It is such an attractive plant. The white flowers in the spring, it looks like a little maple with those leaves and now the deep bright berries. Too bad they are not edible to some woodland creature.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 7:31AM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

They may well be edible to some creature, after all, poison ivy berries are a staple food for many birds here in southern Ontario but you sure wouldn't catch me making jam or pies out of it. ;o)

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 7:54PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

This is from a USDA forest services website:

Red baneberry fruit is consumed by several bird species including the yellow-bellied sapsucker, American robin, wood thrush, gray-cheeked thrush, brown thrasher, gray catbird, and grouse [50,81]. Some small mammals also eat the berries including deer mice, white-footed mice, red
squirrel, eastern chipmunks, and redbacked voles [50,81]. Several species of birds that use baneberry eat the fruit but void the seeds, while some of the small mammals remove and eat the seeds leaving the the pulp

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 8:02PM
well_drained(z6a MA)

I know something eats our Actaea rubra berries - they're usually all gone by mid-September. So I guess it's only poisonous to some species (including Homo sapiens). Makes sense - if nothing eats the berries and then spreads the seeds around, why take the trouble to make berries in the first place?

-- wd

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 12:13PM
arcy_gw

Thank-you so much for the information. I am elated that they are not as poisonous as I thought. If anything could be harmed I would feel guilty for liking, and growing the plant.! Happy News!

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Trouble with growing mayapples
I have had good success with many woodland natives,...
linda_schreiber
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Sponsored Products
Brick Paver Bold Stripe Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Brick Paver 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Cosby Leather Sofa - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Furniture of America Ziesta Cabinet and Hanging Shelves
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Shirvan, Red, 4'0" x 5'10" M1736-104
Darya Rugs
Boston Red Sox Chip & Dip
$19.99 | zulily
Tribal Designs Heriz Knotted Hand Wool 3' X 8' Serapi Persian Oriental Rug H5106
BH Sun Inc
VIG Furniture - Bella Italia Leather 216 Sofa Set in Red - VGCA216-12
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™