granburyflowergirl, tell me about overwintering Plumeria

fairviewJuly 24, 2010

Saw your comment on the tropical looking thread. Would mind going into detail about how to overwinter them in the garage. I would love to have them around my pool.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granburyflowergirl(7)

WARNING: THE PICTURE BELOW IS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED PLANT ENTHUSIASTS!

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words so:

I bought this Plumeria as a 6 inch stub in a plastic "souvenir" pack when I visited Hawaii in 2008. I was very doubtful about my neighbor's overwintering method when he first told me about it. After struggling through the first winter to keep mine alive (and barely alive - despite my best efforts)in a pot, then seeing how healthy his plant looked, I decided to try his method last winter. Surprisingly it worked great. Here it is today:

Here is a pic of my neighbor's plant:

I bought 4 more Plumerias at Home Depot this year, they are so pretty and low maintenance, this is something I can handle!

Nikki

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 9:20PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a(7b8a)

I hope I don't sound dumb, but what I get out of the pictures is that the leaves are taken off and the "stalk" pulled out of the ground and placed inside for the winter. Is that correct? If so, when do you put it back in the ground and what do you do - just dig a hole?

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 3:29PM
granburyflowergirl(7)

When the temps were projected to dip below 40, I just gently loosened up the dirt around the dripline (outer edge of the leaves) and pulled it out of the ground (easy to do because it is planted in very sandy, gritty soil), then I put it in the garage. I did not pull the leaves off, I just let them fall off in their own time. The plant sheds them itself when it goes dormant.

Once the temps are unlikely to go below 40 again in the spring (April? May?), I just dug a hole in the same area it had been and planted it again. The original instructions said to plant it in 1/2 sand 1/2 dirt so that is what I try to keep it in, but I think my neighbor just puts his straight into whatever soil his yard came with and it seems fine too.

If you want more educated care instructions, there is a plumeria forum, but I am sold on this method!

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 5:12PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

The gardening friend who gave me mine has used this method successfully for many years. She has many that are "trees" now.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 9:24AM
dee2000_tx7(DFW 7b)

I have one also, however, the friend who gave it to me said it was a 'Ti' plant. I just discovered this year, from this forum, that it is a plumeria. It has yet to bloom, however & I've had it about 5-7 years. I never take it out of the pot, just stop watering it while it's in the garage, then it starts showing life again in spring, I start watering again. I recently put it in a bit larger pot, super bloomed it, & keep it in the sun....still no blooms. What now?

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 4:12PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a(7b8a)

Thanks a million, granburyflowergirl. This gives me the courage to try a plumeria. I have always thought they are beautiful. I will look at the plumeria forum, thanks for that tip too.

Carrie751, now that some of the plants are "trees" now, does your friend still dig them up for wintering?

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 5:46PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Yes, and when they get too large, she makes cuttings of them and shares. I have learned so much about tropicals from her. She gave me my start of brugmansias, lo those many years ago. My Dr. Seuss that she told me to just stick in the ground, now makes four to five trunks when he emerges in the spring, and blooms non stop. He is also one of the most fragrant that I have.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 6:43PM
granburyflowergirl(7)

Glad to help Walnut!

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 5:29PM
tkutch

They are really easy to grow. I grow mine in pots. Then when winter hits I just put the pot and all in the garage and I dont water it at all till spring. I bring it inside the house a few weeks then take them back outside.

I have 2 that are about 4-5 foot tall

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 11:19PM
tkutch

On a side note. Those that go to Canton,Tx (First Mondays) there is a lady who sells them by the main pavillion. She sells them and other exotic plants. I think the name is Exotic Plants. I actually purchased 4 from her. I will say though you can find better knowledge around here than asking them.
Thanks

www.northtexasgardening.com

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 12:05AM
More Discussions
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
I know its too wet to rototill but, what if.............
I live in North Texas and I am in the process of creating...
Steve Wiley
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Rain Event, SE Texas
It doesn't look like we'll be planting our veggie garden...
luvs2plant
Sponsored Products
Magis | Flying Carpet Base
YLiving.com
Worthy Chair - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Antique Brass Small Shade Swag - Plug-In DIY Chandelier
$30.00 | Lamps Plus
Coral Pendant - Black - David Trubridge
$630.00 | HORNE
Magis | Dodo Rocking Bird
YLiving.com