Serviceberry--groundcover and plantings underneath?

Bioteach44July 27, 2013

Hi everyone! I planted a beautiful 8 ft serviceberry in my yard this spring in northern Indianapolis. It seems to be doing well, and I am now trying to research what to plant underneath the drip line area.

In terms of the site, it is certainly part shade, only receiving a few hours of sunlight a day. Most serviceberry I see are sunny spots where wildflower perennials can be grown beneath it, but I don't think that will be true for me due to the lighting. We are also on fairly heavy clay soils, and I also very much love native plants and wildlife plantings.

I have various types of mint that I am hoping will spread over time; however, what are some other good shade options that will look nice? I am open to flowers, grasses, sedges, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Oh Geez, will that mint spread:O Trouble is getting anything else to grow near it. I would suggest planting for birds in your area.
Serviceberry is a wonderful tree for birds. If you get up early enough, you can make a decent jam with it as well.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 8:38AM
Bioteach44

The mint is planted in underground pots. So, hopefully, it will spread to fill them and then be somewhat contained.

The birds and wildlife are the reason that I planted the serviceberry. We had several new bird species in the backyard this year once the berries were in!

Suggestions on what part shade plants the birds will like?

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 10:00AM
mdahms1979

How about wild Ginger, Asarum canadense. This native plant makes a beautiful ground cover. You could interplant some spring wildflowers such as Trillium, Virginia Blue Bells, trout lilies, etc.

Mike

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
ongoing stiltgrass battle...update
Ran out of wood chip mulch but needed to cover a deer...
adidas
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™