Anyone else grow palms outside in WI?

wxman81December 29, 2008

This past summer I decided to do some zone pushing and I planted five palms in my yard. I planted (2) Washingtonia Robusta, (1) Butia Capitata, (1) Trachycarpus Fortunei, and (1) Cycas Revoluta. I also have (10) Musa Basjoo Bananas. Washingtonia Robusta is hardy to zone 9a, Cycas Revoluta is hardy to zone 8b, Butia Capitata is hardy to zone 8a, and Trachycarpus Fortunei is hardy to zone 7b. Here are pictures of them.

Front yard Washingtonia Robusta:

Front yard Trachycarpus Fortunei:

Front yard Cycas Revoluta:

Backyard Butia Capitata and Washingtonia Robusta with two Musa Basjoo in the middle:

Butia Capitata closeup:

Washingtonia Robusta closeup:

I built mini greenhouses around them for the winter and included (1) 125 watt heat bulb in each enclosure and wrapped the palms in Christmas lights. To build the enclosures as small as possible, I used cable ties to tie up the fronds. All I did to the Musa Basjoo is mulch them. Picture:

Here is a picture from Christmas Eve of my front yard Washingtonia Robusta. GREEN AS CAN BE!

I have been down to -12F here in SE WI, but the coldest my palms have seen is a brief dip to 27.1F during the coldest part of that arctic intrusion. They mainly stay between 40F and 50F! Hope you enjoy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

congrats on a job well done!! Can't wait to see if they make it through to spring. I sure hope so.

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 10:58AM
turquoise(5)

They're beautiful! I've grown Musa Basjoo for a few years,but I've never gotten one through the winter. Last winter I built a 3' cage (tall and wide) filled with mulch and covered with plastic. Still nothing come spring. It may have been the moisture due to all of the snow, I'm not sure. This year I gave up on overwintering and just dug them up and stored the corms like canna.

I hope yours make it!!

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 7:55PM
sunshinemartinis(5)

I'm very excited to see your results come spring!! I am a parrothead and would LOVE to plant palms in my yard!! Please keep us posted..they are BEAUTIFUL!!

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 3:12PM
grullablue(5)

I am SO envious of you having that beauty in your yard!!! I too am eager to hear how they're doing! I LOVE palm trees.... it's the one thing I wish I could have in my yard....

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 11:44AM
grullablue(5)

Have I missed an update? I've been thinking about this post off and on ever since I read it!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?
On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a...
bristlingacres
Northern Artichokes (Imperial Star, Grand Beurre, etc.)
Hello, I'm interested in hearing about sources and...
arugula
Pruning trees
When is the best time of year to thin out a young Redbud...
Leafhead
Sponsored Products
Guitar Player Steel Wine Caddy
$109.00 | FRONTGATE
Ava Paloma Fabric Metal Dining Chair
bryght.com
CKR W081t1 - 1-Arm Task Lamp - Wastberg
$675.00 | HORNE
Surya Modern Classics CAN-2022 3'3" x 5'3" Cloud Blue, Ivory Rug
$411.00 | PlushRugs
Olympia II Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection