Linnea borealis ???????

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)July 30, 2004

Has anyone grown this beautiful little native plant....... ??????? linnea borealis ??????? Here's a link:

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/linnaeabore.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david_5311(Z 5b/6a SE Mich)

I have not grown it myself but have seen it many, many times in the wilds of northern Michigan. A classic plant of the boreal forest, and to some extent, the transition zone between the boreal forest and the eastern deciduous forest. It is a delicate beauty, in the upper great lakes, found with Cornus canadensis, starflower, fringed polygala, and lots of rare orchids. It is primarily a plant of acid organic soils, and is commonly found growing over rotting logs covered with moss.

I would think the great problem for you in cultivating this plant would be summer heat. Unless you are in the mountains where you are, it seems unlikely that it would tolerate the warm summer temps. But that is a guess from knowing it in its native habitat, not from having grown it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2004 at 11:07PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Linnaea borealis is supposed to grow all over the northeast.... including new jersey maryland and delaware..... it is supposed to be endangered in my state though so I would like to grow it....... :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2004 at 11:23PM
franeli(z4 NH)

I've seen this in the wild only once during my 10+years of hiking at about 4000 feet in the White Mnts of NH. Very tiny flowers,
1/2" here in the Whites,blooming end of July.
Are seeds or plants available for Linnea Borealis?

Bookmark   July 31, 2004 at 7:49PM
ginger_nh(z4 NH)

Yes - look for plants from Van Berkum's Nursery in Deerfield, NH. They are small year old plants in black 2 qt square pots at many garden centers in New England. VB's is a small wholesale nusery specializing in the propagation and sale of New England woodland plants. I just planted a flat of VB linnea borealis for a client last month.

Where are you in NH? I am in the Lakes Region.

Bookmark   August 2, 2004 at 9:29PM
franeli(z4 NH)

ginger, thanks for the info on the twin flower! I had no idea that there was a place in NH that propagated woodland plants. Somehow, I always thought it was only Garden in the Woods in Framingham, Mass.
I'm in the hills of Lyme and have a camp in Center Sandwich.

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 7:26AM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Oh my...I was in Deerfield last weekend. My best friend just bought a beautiful old house right in the center of town. I didn't know about this place and apparently neither does she. I'll be sure to let her know.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 7:52AM
ginger_nh(z4 NH)

Franeli-
E-mail me if you need any help obtaining twinflower.
G.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 9:08PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Unfortunately Van Berkum's Nursery only does wholesale:( Or at least that's what their site says.

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 5:39PM
ginger_nh(z4 NH)

True, but you can ask them about a retailer in your area who carries their plants. Or you can find a nursery, garden center, garden design/install business, or landscaper to obtain the plants for you.

Bookmark   August 8, 2004 at 11:15AM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

Many sources are out there! Here's a link to a nursery in MN. The plants cost $6.99. PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

Bookmark   August 8, 2004 at 8:11PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Thanks for the link PF. I thought it would be nice tho that my best friend in the whole world lives in Deerfield AND there's an awesome native plant nursery there too. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

But I'll ask her to pay them a visit nevertheless, sounds like an interesting place.

Bookmark   August 8, 2004 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™