Bishopsweed

brendainva(n.VA)July 5, 2005

How invasive is bishopsweed? I have planted some in a dry shaded spot.

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgower82(6 SE MI)

If it is ageopodum(sp?) than it takes over fast. And you will probably find plants in various spots all over your yard from seeds. Only way I got rid of it was to dig out the entire bed. Go with something different, native stuff like Hystrix patula.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 9:13PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Bishop's weed doesn't spread by seeds but it does spread aggressively by rhizomes. Just do a search here on gardenweb and read about the headaches caused by this innocent looking plant. It grows very well in dry shady areas and it's very difficult to get rid of once established.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 10:44AM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

Do not plant BW in your woods. Very, very invasive. Multiplies exponentially, but weed-b-gone or most broad leaf weed control will kill it with repeated applications.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 10:56AM
brendainva(n.VA)

Argh! Will a lawnmower contain it?

Brenda

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 8:30PM
Poochella(7 WA)

NO, don't mow it. Carefully rip out as much as possible getting as many roots as possible. Repeat annually and you can nearly eradicate it. Use Roundup if you care to.

There was another thread on thugs recently and I posted I had successfully eradicated BW after 3-4 years from a perennial bed. Well, guess who I found poking up from the soil just the other day? ARGGGGGG

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 8:59PM
bellevie(z6 MD)

I've been trying to get rid of this thug for 4 years. I've finally resorted to using Roundup on it. I would avoid planting it at all costs.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 12:37AM
jgaughran(z6 NY)

For what it's worth, I think it's a lovely plant. Depends on how much space you're trying to fill. I'd much rather have bishopsweed than many other weeds. If it knocks out the garlic mustard, I will be pleased.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 11:00PM
paalexan(NM)

"For what it's worth, I think it's a lovely plant. Depends on how much space you're trying to fill."

Yup, if you want to fill your whole yard it's great.

Might not be as bad as some other weeds, but I sure wouldn't plant the stuff. May as well be planting garlic mustard.

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 2:17AM
jasonkay(z5 IL)

The variegated cultivar is better behaved, but it can revert to the species by seed, so the flower stalks should be pulled. I think there are better choices.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 11:43AM
zippo

Can Aegopodium Podagraria Variegatum spread by seed??I know there Is websites that say It can however I'm asking this of personal observation, Have any of you that has this or that knows someone that has this seen it spread by seeds? I have been told several different things, such as
1)It won't make any seeds at all since its variegatum and not the green species
2)It will make seeds but there non fertile and won't germinate

So yeah I have been told very conflicting Info about this. So now have any of you "personally" seen this spread by seed?

Oh and I was also told that If It sets seed It's seedlings will be the original species and not variegated. Is that true?
LOL help me anybody with this

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn
Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land....
agurkas
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™