Putting Flagstone in Bermuda Grass

texashottie(z7 TX)July 24, 2010

We have hired a professional landscaper for our backyard. He's made a suggestion of making a walkway with flagstone pushed down into the grass so that you can still mow over the top of it. My concern is the bermuda growing over the top of the stones---I expect some maintenance with it. But has anyone actually done this and what is their experience? How often are you taking the weed-whacker to it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

It's doable but after having tried it, not sure if I would recommend it. It gets old very quickly after trimming grass runners off each stone ESP if you have a lot of them.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 4:50PM
whitecap

Yes, and the flags will eventually sink into the ground, making it easier for the grass to cover them. I have to weedeat mine several times a year. The alternative, for me, was wearing a path into the lawn.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 8:23PM
Lynn Marie

We put large rocks directly on top of our bermuda lawn in the hopes that the yard would grow up around it and they would be flush. But the rocks were of very irregular depths, so four years later, we still can't mow over it. I can see what you are afraid of happening, but maybe if you put a very sturdy weed barrier down first then filled with sand or something, it might take longer to happen.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 9:42PM
texashottie(z7 TX)

Thank you all for your feedback!

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 6:10PM
tkutch

I put a lot of this in my yard. I have a pool and we used it as a walkway. I love it in the ground versus building it up like a sidewalk. Looks like it has been there forever. The only draw back is how often you want to trim it with the trimmer. I mow at least once a week and mow over it then come back with the trimmer. Takes all of 2-3 minuets tops. I have 3 tons of it. These are in Bermuda and St. Aug. grass.

Hope it helps

www.northtexasgardening.com

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
How do I get rid of banana trees ?
Actually, I don't want to kill all of them, but the...
castro_gardener
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™