What kind of egg could this be?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasJuly 29, 2012

We came home about 1:00 PM today to find this mess on the patio ...

It's obviously a fresh egg as traces of the yolk and clear white could be seen. The shell is brittle, but thicker with more texture than a hen egg ...

Size comparison to a large hen egg ...

Evidentally one of the dogs found it and brought it up to the patio to eat. The yard is fenced. Where could it have come from and what kind of creature laid it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucas_tx_gw

Looks like it might be a turtle egg to me. We had a mama turtle lay some in my big pile of wood chips recently. They are oblong like that.

Teri

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:18PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Teri, this seems a little large for most turtles. I have ornate box turtles in the yard. Their eggs are oblong, but leathery. What kind of turtles do you have around there?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:35PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I'm thinking a hawk just have dropped an egg while flying over. Does that ever happen I wonder? There's no trees in my yard holding hawk nests which I assume would be pretty large and built high up. I would think they'd be more likely to nest in the woods around here anyway. But it seems a little large for a hawk egg, plus isn't this the wrong time of year for hawks, or anything else, to be laying eggs?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 3:48PM
cynthianovak

fascinating! This would haave me wondering every time I walked out, looked up etc etc
c

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:21AM
lucas_tx_gw

This is the turtle that laid the eggs in my wood chips.

I don't know what kind it is but the eggs I had were easily as big as what you have pictured.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:11PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

That is a BIG turtle and is a different variety than my 'ornate box turtles'. Do you have a creek nearby? I wonder if it could be a water turtle. They get much larger than the box turtles.

Once when we were on vacation my brother found a water turtle that washed down the normally dry creek near my house and he put it in my back yard. It was huge. I took it to the Salado creek, a permanently running tributary of the San Antonio River where there were many turtles, and let it go.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™