triangle grape fern / moonwort ?

tomasincasJuly 17, 2006

Does any one know if the Triangle grape fern and Narrow Triangle moonwort are the same plant...I've only seen one picture of each and they look the same....but the latin names are different...T.G.F. was Botrychium lanceolatum and

N.T.M was Botrichium angustsegmentum but the picture also mentioned lanceolatum...maybee the pictures were incorrect.

Tom in Pa.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Both have been placed in the same species, Botrychium lanceolatum and assigned varietial names(some classify as subspecies). The Eastern variety is v. angustisegmentum and the Western natives become the autonym variety: v. lanceolatum.
The Flora of North America describes the two varieties as differing only in the width of about two of the middle segments: v. lanceolatum 2mm or more, v. angustisegmentum, 2mm or less.
After looking at several photos of v. angustisegmentum from different geographic areas(geotypes) of the Eastern US and comparing those with v. lanceolatum from the West Coast, I am wondering how the taxonomists determined which was the "normal" shape of either? Could be that the determination is based upon Herbarium specimens, which turns out to be slightly different.
Rb

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™