What critter is eating my green tomatoes?

dragonfly73July 24, 2014

The bite seems a bit distinctive. I've had a problem with Canadian geese in my yard. I used to see raccoons, but I haven't seen one around in a long time. I've also seen a few opossums on and off and my cats catch other small rodents. There are also a lot of rabbits around. None of what I have seen really seems to match this bite mark though...

Guesses?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LKZZ(7b)

The top bites look like mice/rats but the bottom tomatoes almost look like a human bite. I did see an image on Google that looked like the bottom tomatoes...there was no ID but at least it tells you that it is not uncommon.

The link below may be some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Identifying Animal Damage to your Gardens

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 5:36PM
dragonfly73

This one looks a lot like a goose beak.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:24PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I concur with LKZZ, the bite pattern looks like rat/mice damage. Birds go for ripe fruits and they make different pattern.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:56PM
dragonfly73

I just noticed too that the last pic has the same little triangle shaped "tooth" marks at the top as the bottom left tomato in the "bitten" picture, almost like something did it all with one "bite" .... or "bill". The bite marks are probably 1.5 inches wide or so. Whatever it is also ate an entire blueberry bush to the ground and also om nom nom'd all my squash seedlings. Time to set up a camera!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:04PM
centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx

It is possible it was deer. They get a bite, do not like the taste. Move to eating something else. They tend to eat cucabit vines roots and all most times. If so soak some tampons in ammonia then tie them to some stakes in the corners, and set a few in the middle. Redip them when they dry out. That should keep any critters out. I was once in an area where bears, and moose would devastate a garden quickly.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:44PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I found out much later that slugs eat tomatoes too. I have caught some red handed. It is amazing how they climb all the way up there to find a tomato. I have a good plan to take care of them and the earwigs next year. I don't mind the birds. If you provide them water dish, they won't peck on the maters.

Bookmark   November 3, 2014 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™