Help Identifying Bitternut Hickory vs Black Walnut sapplings

kenmc5(USDA 5)August 29, 2011

A few years ago in the fall I tilled 3 rows on a small lot and buried Black Walnuts and Bitternut Hickory nuts together. To my surprised I got 3 rows filled with saplings but I can�t tell if any are Hickory. I need to thin the saplings out and would like to save as many Hickories trees as possible. To me the trees mostly look like the Walnut saplings that pop up in our regular landscaping. Can someone point me to a good reference or let me know the distinct characteristics. I think I have all Walnuts but not sure.

I really didn�t think I�d get so many trees as the squirrels were busy digging as soon as I left.

Thanks, Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

Black walnut foliage has a distinctive sweet smell that is unmistakable. Find a mature black walnut and take a good long whiff of the leaves, and you'll never forget the scent. It isn't unpleasant at all.

Plus, walnut leaves and twigs are soft to the touch and sort of fuzzy. Hickory leaves are stiffer and shinier, and the young twigs don't have that downy coating.

Hope this helps, you can google the info for pictures.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 9:59PM
esh_ga

You can also post this question on the trees forum - those guys are pretty helpful and this question has come up before.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 7:24AM
steelskies(5)

Id like to know if its possible to identify the bitternut (that's what we called them anyway) versus the hickory nut. The look exactly the same to me.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 8:17PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Steelskies, might help to narrow down the species you are interested in. Bitternut hickory is the name usually applied to Carya cordiformis, which is also known as yellow-bud hickory. Even when very young they will have sulfur yellow buds at the end of the shoots this time of year. The most common edible hickory we get around here is shagbark, which is easy to identify because of the very loose, shaggy bark on older trees. Younger trees are more difficult but you can rule out C. cordiformis by looking at the buds.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™