ladyslippers

altoraMA(5/6 MA)August 2, 2004

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a blue lady's slipper? If not, is there any type of woodland plant that can be mistaken for lady slippers? We have a small patch, but I don't know what the plant is exactly, looks like one, but the color is throwing me off. They are about to bloom, but the bud is almost lapis blue.

Thanks for any info!

Alida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nankeen(z8b Portland OR)

There aren't any blue Cypripedium in the world. Do you have a picture?

Ross

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 1:42AM
chervil2(z5 MA)

Is it a wildflower or a cultivated plant? Describing the plant characteristics would be helpful for an i.d. My ladyslippers bloom in May every year.

Cheers!

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 2:11PM
nankeen(z8b Portland OR)

I think that Alida had it ID'ed as a commelina species on a different forum.

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 5:38PM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

Yes, it turns out that it is commelina something or other. Thank you for your help though!
Alida

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 7:29PM
nankeen(z8b Portland OR)

The people at pinkladyslippers.com are the same B@$t@&)$ that have been selling these plants on ebay by the ten-thousands! They didn't lab propogate them and all their information is wrong on their ebay ad. We've already commented on the extreme shadiness of that particular operation at length on either this forum, the natives forum or the orchids forum (I forget which).

One of the funniest things is their price for a seed pod... $100 per pod for "seed pods with over 100-200 seeds each pod...." my oh my. Not only are there thousands of seeds per pod, but who said that the going rate is $100? I've seen entire pods on ebay go for $4, and some folks will send you seed for free to help conserve the genus!

Don't waste your time at that site. See the link for a listing of reputable growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyp growers

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 9:47PM
NOTHO__NANTUCKET

Hey nankeen, thank you for the conformation that was spinning around in my head Ithought they sounded too good to be true but always give the benefit of the doubt.I wasn,t trying to use altoraMa as a scape goat but to get other,s opinions are satisfying to say the least. Plus living in the same state we could be remote neighbors. Thanks for the info I am new to this forum so I was never informed,but I AM SCHOOLED NOW!!! THANK YOU nankeen we are interested in wetlands plants and native material, hope to here your imput on many related subject matter from now on AND once again thanks THANK YOU . I was gonna maybe purchase some plant material from well, Iforgot how you ranked them. NOTHO NANTUCKET

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Getting RID of Poison Ivy
How do you KILL the stuff?! At the rear of our property...
catherineOH
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™