Red Chokeberry

KimMac(NJ)August 27, 2004

I'm looking for red chokeberry and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

The following companies are listed by the PA Hort. Society as retail mail order sources for Red Chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia):
Greergardens.com
Fairweathergardens.com
Forestfarm.com
Beavercreeknursery.net
Tripleoaks.com
There are a number of wholesale nurseries in your area (NJ,PA) that list this shrub. I'm surprised that local nurseries don't carry them.
Rb

Bookmark   August 27, 2004 at 11:43PM
Alison_PA(z6 PA)

I purchased a very young - about 18" tall - red chokeberry from Bowman's Hill wildflower preserve 3 years ago. I planted it near the house to nurse it along. Now it is spreading and strong and ready to be moved - does anyone know how much light and space it needs? I have mostly part shade, one side of the yard is a woodland edge.

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 6:04PM
razorback33(z7)

Have observed them in their native habitat, full shade and partial shade(morning sun) and in full sun. The ones in shade have flowers, but few or no fruit. (My experience in the garden, also.) Those that were growing in full sun were loaded with berries. BTW, birds don't eat them. It is a medium sized, suckering shrub and the largest I've seen is about 5-6 ft. tall. Very attractive in groups when the berries ripen. Mature plants can become quite leggy, not a problem for me, as I have them in a woodland, but if they are grown as a specimen plant, you may want to under-plant it(them) with a low growing shade perennial or grass.

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 7:50PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Don't know what part of NJ you're in. It was kind of far for me, but I ended up buying an Aronia arbutifolia "Brilliantissima" at the NJ Botanical Garden Sale this spring. This time of year and even more around spring there tend to be sales sponsored by various arboretums and garden clubs. I think they tend to have more natives than most nurseries (some good advice I got from people on GW). I think I also saw one at one of the larger nurseries in my area (it might have been a different native shrub I had been looking for though) even though they donÂt specialize in natives.

I know there are fall events at the Morristown Arboretum and at Rutgers. Probably many other places too.

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 10:47AM
too_many_pets(LI Z7)

I heard the birds eat them as a food of last resort. I wouldn't know, because mine never has berries :-(

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Help Identifying Woodland Vine
Would be very grateful if someone can help me identify...
LongMountainMom
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™