Bleeding Heart

bernadette_gourder(5 from Newaygo, MI)August 24, 2009

I bought a Giant Bleeding Heart from Jung's this spring, planted it, and it grew like crazy. The flowers were beautiful. Now, however, it is all yellow and it look like it is dying back. Is that what they do or is there something wrong with it?

Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodlandgal(4)

That is what they do normally. Where I used to live they died back. Now I have one that blooms continuously until frost. I didn't save the tag, so don't know the name of it, but it looks just like the other ones I had.
It is planted alongside the house, facing NE.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:53PM
woodside(6 IN)

My bleeding hearts are dicentra spectabilis. I have a red and a white variety, both planted this summer. Neither have died back yet to my surprise! They are in moist clay under a large tree canopy and they have barely yellowed. Our summer has been fairly mild though. I think the shade and the moisture keep them green.

But my neighbors have a specimen in their front yard that is heavily mulched and near the street. It is yellow and terrible looking- just too exposed I think.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 10:47AM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Mine always die back once the heat really sets in. They come back just as big and beautiful the next year. I just make sure there are hosta and ferns to fill in the bare spots. I doubt you did anything. I have mine in almost full shade to help them last as long as possible.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 11:32AM
bernadette_gourder(5 from Newaygo, MI)

Phew! Thank you - I was hoping it was something along those lines. It looks like perhaps a little too much afternoon sun and I have it in sandy soil, so perhaps not moist enough.

Curious, how do you propagate Bleeding Heart? Do cuttings work?

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 1:19PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Yes, cuttings in early spring, as the new shoots emerge do work. They typically include a small part of the woody crown as a "heel".

Root cuttings are also possible.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™