Solomon's seal staking

zuni(5a)August 12, 2009

I have some standard solomon's seal which gets quite large early in the season and then falls on its face. I'd like to actually SEE the flowers. Is there a way to make it stand up without making it look ridiculous?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rootwad(z5 Ozarks)

How much sun does the plant receive? In my location, soloman's seal can take quite a bit of sun. I think it does better with about 4 hours of sun a day. RW

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 3:16PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Soil type might also be an issue. Otherwise, plant them with supporting plants, e.g. Hosta.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 10:40PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I have several large clumps of sol. seal and have never had a problem with them falling over or even leaning. My soil is usually fairly dry and I don't generally fertilize my plants. Maybe your soil is too good and rich for them. Mine are in mostly shade, so they don't need sun to stand upright.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 11:58PM
arcy_gw

Are these newly planted/transplanted? I had this trouble at first but as they matured, set down stronger root systems the problem fixed itself.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 8:21AM
zuni(5a)

My solomon's seal is under a 100-year old maple. It gets no direct sun and the soil is very poor. I occasionally give them compost, and the plants are quite robust except that they flop. I put them there because I wanted the height and few other plants will even grow there. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to support them.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
ongoing stiltgrass battle...update
Ran out of wood chip mulch but needed to cover a deer...
adidas
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™