Burning The Midnight Oil

John_D(USDA 8b WA)February 1, 2004

I do my best writing between eleven at night and four in the morning -- perhaps because I grew up in a large, extended family, and that was the only time when I could get enough peace and quiet to think clearly and work without interruption. Now, when I could work at any time of day or night, I'm just stuck in that rut. (But I don't mind, because I have raccoons for company.)

Are there any other writers out there who do their best work at night?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clfo(z7 with luck)

John,
I, also tend to work at night. Because I was working full time at a garden center, my first book, The Cape Cod Garden, was written between the hours of 8 PM and 1 AM. But even in the winter when I'm not in the nursery I tend to be out in the world during the day, and in my office at night.

I have a friend who for years was an emergancy room doc who worked at night. When I asked him why he prefered that shift, he said that when he was growing up he found that only at night was it possible to have the house be "his".... and in much the same way the hospital was also his at night. Fewer people, no administrators, not as many distractions etc.

The inernet makes it even easier for night owls... no waiting for the public library to open for research!
C.L.

Bookmark   February 1, 2004 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Gardening songs
My wife just sent a link to a GW page that had gardening...
jondoe888
Most irritating expressions in 2004
It must be winter in Canada - WHERE is the sun???????????...
hotpink
Allen Lacy--while we're on the topic...
While we're on the topic of great garden writers, what...
ginny12
Southern Garden Writers
I'm researching an article on Southern garden writers....
RogerDuvall
Poetry - Why to plant a garden
Hello! I'm teaching a college speech class this week...
mmiesse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™