Selecting a few good trees...

wacogardener(8)July 12, 2011

I am wanting to plant a couple of new trees in the coming months, and have thus far looked at the Shumardi Red Oak, the Fan-Tex Ash, and the Mexican Plum. I would be curious to hear what experiences any of you might have had with these, and/or any alternatives to these three that you enjoy. I am in the Waco area, zone 8b and am determined to have a beautiful, healthy, and shady yard for many years to come (though I know the shade is some years down the road).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TedBell(7)

Shumardi Red Oaks are great - I'd wrap the trunk for the 1st year or two to prevent sunscald which can split the bark.

Ash trees look great but may get borers, especially when young. I've planted several (Texas Ash) but they aren't my primary tree for that reason. I haven't had a problem thus far. Ash trees do grow fast.

Cedar Elm is a good alternative. The gold colors in fall look great with Red Oak and a juniper or two, and they are drought tolerant.

Also, I'd wait until October to plant due to the high temps. Just remember to water regularly (weekly) for the 1st year or two to get them established.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grinchis40(Z7 Princeton TX)

We are in the Dallas area and planted 2 Fan-Tex Ashes about 10 years ago in the front yard to shade the house and porch. Yes they do get some borers but I love these trees! They are the first tree to leaf out in spring and the last to drop leaves in the fall. No seeds. Glossy green leaves. Grow fairly fast. We now have shade on the house and porch. Don't have any of the other trees you mentioned so I cannot comment on those.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Spring spots on Oleander Leaves
Hello Garden Forum.. I have an Oleander that has emerged...
rrtxgardener
Crepe Myrtle Transplating - Houston Area
Hi, I originally thought about posting this in the...
BirkdaleSteve
Sponsored Products
Paradise Palm 7-foot Silk Tree
Overstock.com
Musical Cuckoo Clock Cottage with Deer Water Pump and Tree
$314.30 | Bellacor
Brushed Steel Floor Lamp: Cordova 58 in. Floor Lamp 20963BS
Home Depot
Impressions Outdoor Wall Art I
Grandin Road
CAL Lighting Lamps 62.5 in. Hana Iron Floor Lamp BO-2214FL
Home Depot