North Texans and Yellow Squash...

alouwomack(Zone 7)July 7, 2010

Hello all,

I thought I was in the clear for squash vine borers . . . I hadn't seen any eggs on my squash in well over a month or more. To my surprise a few days ago, I discovered all 3 of my yellow squash plants are full of SVBs!!! Anyone else battling this problem so far into our summer growing season? I don't know a lot about this devastating bug . . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sowngrow(TX8)

SVB got two of my plants so far. Hate to say it or I'll jinx it, but I've got one summer squash plant that's thriving. Knock on wood.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 12:32PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

The S.V.borers got all of my squash. Since I had problems with them before I haven't planted them in years so was hoping there weren't any around and therefore got lazy and didn't do any of the recommended practices to prevent them.

I love fresh squash so I'm going to replant for fall and plan to use row covers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Controls ...

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:23PM
chickenmom(7b/8a, DFW, TX)

I've never had squash borers before, but they wiped out all my squash this year. I removed the dead plants. Is there anything else I should be doing now to help prevent their return next year? I have just a small garden area, so planting in another area means they will be within a few feet of this year's plants. I've grown squash for years and never had borers until this summer.....Usually I'm just fighting squash bugs, but the borers must have beaten them to the attack.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:48PM
alouwomack(Zone 7)

This is the first year I've grown a vegetable garden in my backyard since we bought our house almost 3 years ago . . . and the SVBs were out and about obviously. I've read not to replant in the same spot 2 years in a row but I'll have trouble with that too since I did a raised bed. I never saw the flying bugs . . . only the eggs and the worms inside my plants! I'm not sure how to battle them for the next season.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 1:04PM
dinaraley

I had some luck with splitting the stems removing the grubs and burrying the stems in compost. I also applied a heavy coat of sevin dust after. Most of my plants recovered and were surprisingly good prducers again.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 2:30AM
More Discussions
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™