Need ID please something new for me

tomasincasSeptember 28, 2009

Anyone seen this in their woodlands or anywhere ? I dont even know where to start to look for it..It has a small yellow flower then it closes up when it dies and forms some sort of weird pod that grows, Will try and send picture of both plant and pod...Tom in Pa.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Velvet Leaf Abutilon theophrastii.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet Leaf

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 11:52AM
tomasincas

fatamorgana,went to the link you provide and found this " Velvetleaf typically occurs where the soil has been recently disturbed and the long dormant seeds are brought close to the soil surface." I had recently removed a Japanese Andrometa bush and dug out the roots and re-raked
the area and I must have found some seeds that were dormant
and that plant is what sprouted up...99 percent sure that is the plant..I see it spreads,so I will get rid of it as soon as it is done blooming...thanks Tom in NWPA
I have another plant which had nice leaves and tiny white flowers and it grew to about three feet high.I thought when it was done, it was just a weed,so I started to pull it out and stuffed it in the walmart bag with my other weeds and noticed they had a minty smell..Maybee you can help me on that one also ...Thanks I'll try and send photo of that also

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 9:39PM
tomasincas

fatamorgana or anyone ,this is the second plant I started to pull out because I thought it was a weed,The leaves smelled minty but not like my spearamint which grows along my woodland edges Ill show the bottom leaves then the tiny white flowers at the top
and thanks Tom

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:04PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Looks like a Artemisia of some type. Artemisia vulgaris, also known as mugwort, is very common where I live in Western NY State. Mugwort spreads quite vigorously via stolons. You could compare with it or other artemisias to see which you have.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Artemisia

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 8:54AM
tomasincas

fatamorgana,looks like I have some form of artemisia or Mugwort.Some photos of vulgaris look like mine others dont.Guess people in the past placed leaves in their drinks to flavor them.Sure are a lot of forms of Artemisia..wow...
Leaves shown on different web sites are slightly diff. from each other. Maybee from other localities..thanks again

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn
Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land....
agurkas
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™