Need help with planting for end of September for a wedding

krepanieJuly 19, 2012

I posted this in another board as well, but am not sure which is the better place.

My husband and I were approached by a family at church to have their daughter's wedding in the field just north of our house. The backdrop would be the drop off and ravine that runs along our property with chairs in the field. The field is a decent size for a wedding ceremony, but everything looks dead and dried out.

We live on the western edge of Tarrant County in North Texas. Our property is very much in its natural state, if you know what I mean. The field looks like dead weeds on dried out ground due to lack of rain. In the Spring it is covered with bluebonnets and various other wildflowers. It is beautiful! However, it is not that attractive the rest of the year.

I am trying to come up with ideas of what we could possibly plant to make it more attractive before the wedding at the end of September. We have no interest in having an actual lawn that is high maintenance with a need for lots of water, just something that tends to grow well on its own in our area.

Any ideas are welcome. And I also know there is probably a chance there is nothing we can do that is low maintenance.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Your county extension service would have names of wildflowers that could be seeded now to bloom in the fall. Also check to see if cool season grasses like ryegrass can be sown now for a bit of green where the seating is.

If a short mowing is all that you can do by then, the florist will need to bring in some arrangements or plants to define the area.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 5:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I'm going to come at this from a different direction. Does the couple (or parents, whichever is planning & paying for the wedding) realize that while the area is gorgeous in the Spring, in the Fall, there's not much beyond "brown" going on? I understand wanting to make everything pretty for your fellow church members, but that's a lot to undertake for what's essentially a favor. Especially if you're paying to decorate the site for someone else's wedding.

I know it's difficult to say "no" to people we care about, but it sounds like it would take a decent chunk of money and time and effort to convert the area for a fall wedding.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Pink & White flowering native trees
I saw some light pink flowering trees yesterday in...
ruthz
My 1st Iris - From the Swap - ID Please
I'm not sure who gave me this from the swap, but thank...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Green Paisley Two Person Bailey Picnic Set
$36.99 | zulily
Akoma Hound Heater Deluxe Dog House Furnace - 822801-PC
$109.95 | Hayneedle
Kontra Bamboo/Steel Fruit & Salad Bowl - Stelton
$199.00 | HORNE
KOHLER Bathroom Greenwich Wall-Mounted Bathroom Sink in White K-2032-0
$74.59 | Home Depot
Luminescent Rug 5'6" x 7'5" - PURPLE
$759.00 | Horchow