cucumbers done?

ccabal(7)July 22, 2012

I have a few cucumber plants that look about dead. The have given me lots of pickling cukes, and I am wondering if the plant is just spent or maybe its the heat.? I did kill a bunch of aphids on it with neem oil a week ago, but more leaves have died off and right now the aren't many leaves left, but they are mostly green stem. Should i pull up the plants or it therea chance they might recover later in the fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

They are done for the season. Depending on where you are, you may be able to start some for a fall crop.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:06PM
ccabal(7)

yeah that's what I figured. Thanks

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 12:09AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

You are welcome.

I read an article. It stated that once you get a bitter cucumber, they will all continue to be bitter. At that time pull up your vines.

Kathy

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:59AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I grew a variety called Suyo long cucumber. It is charging away in the heat. I just took in 6 18'- 24" long cucumbers. and there is another 6 forming in the cage. I can;t keep up. They make a long thin ribbed cucumber. They are asian, either chines or vietnamese and they seem to deal with the heat really well. I will go out and look for more female flowers tomorrow. I have been fertilizing them with the male flowers. I find them very tasty. The plants are unfazed by the 104 weather so far. I do have it in a spot where it gets some morning sun.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 1:54AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Thanks for that info. I love cucumbers. I gave up growing them last year.
I am going to order some seeds.

Kathy

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:37AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

... Oh , 104 was a miss type. Sorry. We have had some 102 weather. Baker heirloom Seed has some other varieties from asia that I am interested in also. Some from Thailand. They say they can take heat AND humidity. If given the choice between Northern European derived seed and asian, I am going with asian because their summers are hot and really humid. I was in 100 degree fog when I was going to school in Mainland china. The monsoons are humid things!! It was Houston but worse and no AC at the time.

I fiind the Armenian cucumber a good one also. It is actually a melon. It can take hot and dry heat also. People in Arizona grow them . They are slow to get started but then produce through the heat of the summer. They are a good companion to the normal cucumber.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 11:08AM
ccabal(7)

Its been 107 here last week. Killer summer

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:17PM
wally_1936(8b)

I raised the Armenian cucumbers while working offshore and when I came back the weeds were over a foot high so I began to pull them and ended up killing the plant which by the way was doing just great on its own, very healthy and producing well.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:15PM
carberry

Thanks for the info. It looks like my cucumber plant gave up the ghost yesterday here in Dallas. Still have a couple of enormous cukes in the fridge.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 10:35PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My cucumber is on its way out... Downy mildew I think. I am too buisy with a job to deal with my garden. It hasn't gotten water but once this week and we have been 101- 104.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™