Pink Dogwoods

florcitas(7)September 3, 2008

I have a pink dogwood that was planted in my house two years ago in mid summer, which was probably the wrong time to plant anything but the landscaper said it would be OK. Needless to say this Spring I had to cut several dead branches and it had a few blooms but it doesn't seem to be growing very well. Could you please advise as to how I should fertilize it and when? I would like to keep it. Pink dogwoods are among my favorite flowers. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Here's an excerpt from a Berkeley Hort article that describes planting and caring for the Cornus florida Dogwood.

In planting your dogwood, it is important that you choose your site carefully. In their natural habitat they are understory trees, receiving dappled sunlight through surrounding branches. In the East Bay a sunny spot for most of the day is good but protection in the summer from hot afternoon sun is crucial. In hotter climates provide more filtered shade from noon on. Dig a planting hole double the size of your pot and amend with slightly acid fir mulch. Avoid a wet site and in our native clay soils I recommend planting high in a slight mound so that as the soil settles the crown of the tree rests slightly above grade. Mulch with organic matter up to 4" from the crown of the tree and water in well. Dogwoods should be watered deeply at least every 10 days and during dry spells at least once a week. Fertilize in the spring with a balanced fertilizer. These dogwoods naturally grow with delightful symmetry and require little or no pruning./end/

I grow many of them and the Kousa Dogwoods and they are an easy tree to establish, although they are slow starters. Seems like forever before they begin to establish some height.
My soil is acidic, which they prefer and most of the trees are on a slope, which allows for good drainage. I don't have any growing in full sum, but there are some in my neighborhood that do and they are spectacular when in bloom!
My back door neighbor cut down a magnificant, healthy, 15'tall, pink flowering Dogwood and replaced it with a Bradford Pear tree. I no longer speak to the jerk!
Good luck with yours!
Rb

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 2:33PM
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Did you plant it or did the landscaper? How was the root ball treated? It it was planted correctly, the dead branches might be the resilt of stress. It may take a year or two to get established before it really starts thriving.

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 5:09PM
ncdirtdigger(7b)

they are not heavy feeders and if the plant is under stress, you should not fertilize it, that could be the final straw. If you are to use anything, make it an organic like Hollytone, which is formulated for acid loving plants like your dogwood

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 9:05PM
Maria2013(5)

Question: Does anyone know if spraying a Pink Dogwood with milk and water can cure some molds like it does on Hibiscus and Mandevilla??

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
Sponsored Products
Eliot Leather Armless Sofa - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Simple Chenille Pink Rectangle: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rectangle Rug
$479.00 | Bellacor
Sweet Jojo Designs Girls 'Dots' 4-piece Twin Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Poseidon Upholstery Fabric in Currant
$60.75 | FabricSeen
Bombe File Box
$445.00 | Horchow