Need hardscaping ideas!

drgnflyz(10a)September 20, 2004

I want to create a woodland-ish landscape for our front yard- I have my plant list covered. My problem is hardscaping. I think our house looks pinched down by the long narrow yard, the grade and the 60'+ trees up and down the street.

I am going to remove all of the bushes and plantings, sod and walkway and start from scratch. What do you think about bringing the grade down from the top of the yard 3-4' and berming up some of that dirt behind groupings of 3-4' rocks. The street side of the rocks would be planted with ferns and other woodland type. The trees will be groupings of aspen, birch, some evergreens with a small mature footprint.

I also want to use grass and pavers for walkways- someone suggested heating coils to get rid of snow shoveling/slipping issues. Input Please!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

It says I need a password to view your pictures.

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franeli(z4 NH)

I saw your house on the Design Forum. The reality is that the house is very long and low slung. I think any kind of tree/shrub grouping would help.
Seems like you are willing to do a really big project.
What is the rest of the neighborhood like?
I just came back from Idaho,new construction uses alot of 'berming' and irrigation systems to keep those bermed trees alive. I suppose the berming is to give more height to new plantings? Soil for high desert areas?
Anyhow, why berm? Can you just plant evergreens and trees in groups along the sidewalk? Are you looking to really hide a bad view across the street?
Make a 'court yard' for the front entry using a fence or stone wall.Add your garden plants,then have the woodland near the sidewalk.
Just brainstorming.
p.s. I found some really beautiful parts of the country in Idaho.
Good luck with your 'project', franeli

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
anyone have a fairy glen fern?
or know of a place to get one?
bragu_DSM 5
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Trouble with growing mayapples
I have had good success with many woodland natives,...
linda_schreiber
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™