Inspiring people through my writing

popi_gwFebruary 7, 2008

Hi there

I am responsible for a small group of people who do voluntary conservation work on an area of land that is an endangered ecological community.

I need to inspire MORE volunteers to help out with this work.

Can anyone give me the words to use to get people thinking about the reasons why they should help out once a month on this plot of land.

I have tried everything, over the years, to get more involved,and I think that people are so busy they don't have the time. But I think we should all do our bit for the environment !

I write an article in the local newsletter on various topics.

Any ideas greatly appreciated !

POPI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny12

The best way to get people to do something is to tell them what's in it for them. Sad but true. So think about your project and let people know what they will get out of it--even if it's providing refreshments or an end-of-season barbecue/cocktail party, whatever. Food is always a winner.

But perhaps you can think of some other ideas. An inside look at someone's wonderful house or garden perhaps? I have a lot of experience with volunteer groups and this is how we lure them into helping. With such a worthy cause, you shouldn't have to do this but alas that is human nature.

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 9:56AM
popi_gw

Thanks Ginny, I have organised a BBQ after a while of weed pulling, in March, on a Sunday. So we shall see who turns up to that.

I guess I want to motivate people more, some people are really good at that, but alas, I don't think I am !!

P

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 8:53PM
duluthinbloomz4

Try appealing to a young(er) demographic - reach out to the local high school, technical school or college to see if there's interest in hands on environmental field trips. Sell it in terms of a possible career path in addition to helping preserve something that cannot be replaced once lost.

We see it being done here fairly often - crews to work on parts of the Superior Hiking Trail or digging out invasive buckthorn in our in-city nature preserves, etc.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
The demise of good english and spelling things correctly
I am looking for kindred souls, people who are as alarmed...
esh_ga
Poetry - Why to plant a garden
Hello! I'm teaching a college speech class this week...
mmiesse
Volunteer FAQ Editor Needed
We are looking for someone to help create an FAQ for...
gwannouncements
Gardening Haiku Contest
Haiku poems generally contain about a dozen words....
paloaltomark
Southern Garden Writers
I'm researching an article on Southern garden writers....
RogerDuvall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™