ID Of Tall 'Orchid' Plant Please

avalonON(z5 ON Canada)September 11, 2005

Found in our shady urban garden:

- Plant is 4' tall with fleshy red protrusions off the thick stem at ground level

- Since the beginning of August has been bearing profuse quantities of pale purple orchid-shaped blooms

- has seed pods that burst when touched and contain 4 dark-brown seeds a little smaller than those of morning-glories

Is is a Helleborine? Can it be grown from seed? We are moving from a sheltered woodland location with rich loamy soil to a sunny, windy area with limestone soil. Will it survive in the new conditions if I transplant it or sow seeds?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Have photos but don't know how to send them with a posting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paalexan(NM)

Not an orchid. You've got one of the weedy Impatiens, Impatiens glandulifera ("himalayan balsam", "indiana balsam", among other names) or Impatiens balsamina ("balsam"). They grow easily from seed, but are invasive weeds in many areas, both difficult to control in gardens and a potential threat when they escape into the wild (Impatiens glandulifera is banned in Connecticut & Washington in the US for this reason).

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 5:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avalonON(z5 ON Canada)

Thank-you Patrick for the correct ID. I looked it up on some Internet sites and all warn of its invasiveness. Beautiful but.....

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™