Photographing trees for book

greenlarry(UK 8/9)September 24, 2007

I've long fancied combining my photography skills with my love of trees and putting together a book on my local trees. I can get round the business of capturing them on film as it were but how do you go about the whole book writing/publishing side of it? Anyone on here wrote a book of any kind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ocollin(5a Perth, ON)

Hi greenlarry !

It all depends on what you think the market is going to be. If you are just going to ptint 20 books for family and friends there is a web based company that can do that. (I'll try to remember the name).

If you think it is going to be be a unique, high quality book you'll need to "sell" the idea to a publisher who will print it, distibute it and send you a comission(10% I think)

If you think it's something inbetween say 1 or 2 thousand books you could hire someone like me (graphic artist/printer) to layout and print and you sell the books yourself through clubs/forums etc...

Hope that helps,

Steve O'Collin

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 6:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I'm not quite sure yet,I need to do a lot of digging. What I'd like to do is a book for my town,for the residents to look at and learn about what wonders are on their doorstep. I bet many would be surprised to know there are so many old and rare trees nearby,including 2 huge Wellingtonias of national importance,a stand of mature english elm untouched by dutch elm disease and a very rare Koelreuteria! One idea someone suggested was an article for a local newspaper,drumming up some interest. Like I say I need to find out what's out there and how to begin writing(never done it before professionally)

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Re-establishing natives in Woodland restoration project
I've spent the last 6 months removing buckthorn in...
Nettiesgarden
Sponsored Products
Fishing Rod Table Lamp
Overstock.com
White Amaryllis 29" Drop-in
$100.00 | Horchow
Prepac SOHO White Floating Hutch
Overstock.com
Eliot Leather Daybed - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Tripod Camera Music Box
$39.99 | zulily
Ice Skates
Grandin Road
Jane Seymour Mini Narcissus 9H in. Silk Floral Arrangement - Set of 2 - P5316-YL
$55.00 | Hayneedle
Hemlock Leaning Ladder Bookcase
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™