Green Grape Tomato

gardenmommy_2010July 13, 2011

I have three Green Grape tomato plants and am suprised that they don't seem to tolerate the heat well - as in their growing tips are drying up. They get the afternoon sun but so do all my other tomato plants and they're not complaining. Is Green Grape a variety that doesn't tolerate the heat well? Does anyone else have experience with this? It's getting to the point that I'm thinking of shading them somehow. With the growing tips burning/shriveling/drying up as they are I'll have to do something or they'll stop growing & producing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracydr(9b)

I believe it was bred by Tom Wagner and he lives in WA state. I have on my notes that this is a good variety for cooler weather. I started some seed for my fall planting.
I haven't grown it before so don't have first hand experience. I just know at least one of it's parent's is Green Zebra.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

Buy a sheet of cheap lattice and four stakes. Mark out a 4 x 8 rectangle centered over the plants, pound a stake into each corner of the rectangle, then tie the lattice to the top of ths stakes. This will rapidly provide shade for your plants and will not obstuct rain or sprinkler watering.

T

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™