rats!

abayomiJuly 8, 2011

Lost some large brad's black heart and moskovich tomatoes to something large. Half eaten green tomatoes. I suspect rats as I've seen them crawling in the bushes at the edges of the property.

Has anyone had, solved this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agrant

Get a cat :)

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:22PM
suncitylinda

Rats are common where I live. for ground rats I rigged up a large coffee can, cut a hole in the lid only large enough for rodents and glued block rat poison inside. Then I put that inside, I think an upside down plastic milk crate weighted with heavy potted plant. Put it right by my tomatoes. In a few days, dead rats. Had many dogs at the time so took extra precautions. Did not like using poison but did not like having all my tomatoes chomped either. Linda

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:35PM
abayomi

Agrant - funny thing is there are cats in the area. In fact they love my plastic mulch. Fed too good to catch rats though.

I may have to resort to poison which I have been looking to avoid. Thanks Linda.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 11:27AM
markk

I have the same problem. Something is taking big bites out of my tomatoes. I am using DCon poison. I also set out some Smack-Rat-Traps too.
Something is eating the poison but I don't know what. I haven't seen any dead bodies.
But it could be squirrels too. I set out some Conibear 110 traps for the squirrels and rabbits. I also have a have-a-heart trap that catches them alive. One year I caught 28 rabbits. They chew up my blueberries, raspberries, roses and hydrangeas.
I hate to kill the furry little things, but I get so angry when I work so hard and the rodents spoil it.
The Conibear 110 can be found at a trap store by doing a google search on "Conibear Trap" And the 110 size is the right size for a squirrel or rabbit.
A Conibear 110 will only cost about $10, but you will also need the big lever-setter-plyers too. I don't use the big plyers, but I have strong hands.
For those of you who object to seeing a squirrel killed in a Conibear 110, please do not watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCPbxlHpNs
But this is how a Conibear 110 Trap works, - Very well!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 10:17AM
abayomi

28 wild rabbits!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™