Internet source for free photo of tomatoes

saul368(z 7/9 CA)March 19, 2005

I'm looking for a website that has free photos of tomatoes that I can download. I've written the piece on tomatoes, but I need a photo to go with the newspaper piece. Any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
John_D(USDA 8b WA)

Might it not be simpler to take your own photos?

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 9:30PM
eddie_ga_7a(8)

It might be simpler to take your own photos but tomatoes may not be in season right now where you are although I notice you are in zones 7 through 9. Generally, nurseries, and there are several that sell only tomatoes, will allow you to use their photos especially if you will be listing them as a source for seeds and plants.

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 7:53AM
kimka(Zone 6B)

Go to the Agricultural Research Service's Image Gallery web page and do a search on tomato. You will find some really great shots in both low and high resolution. Since ARS is an agency of the U.S. Department Of Agriculture, none of the photos are copyrighted. (Don't limit yourself to looking at the thumbnails in the categories--those only a sample of the thousands of photos on the web site.)

Here is a link that might be useful: ARS Image Gallery

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 4:06PM
wiandy

Saul -

I have a couple pics of tomatoes that I took in my garden last summer. You're welcome to use then in exchange for crediting me as appropriate. Email me if you're interested.

Andy

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 2:54PM
lazy_gardens

If you use US government photos, you have to give them credit for the photo.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 11:25PM
trianglejohn

The resolution is never good enough for glossy publications and only sometimes good enough for newsprint.

All internet material is 72 dpi (dots per inch). Most newspapers require 200 dpi but will sometimes take down to 140. So if the image on your screen is 6 inches wide you would have to condense it to half its size to intensify the resolution to 144 or two times the original 72 (72 x 2 = 144). So depending on the layout you can work with large internet provided clip art photos because 3 inches wide is fine for small pieces. But something like a tomato rarely comes in large format - they have limited space to store photos and they reserve premium space for things like sunset scenes. Well, at least in my experience.

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 3:28PM
kimka(Zone 6B)

You can download 300 dpi versions of the Agricultural Research Service's photos from the Image Gallery (link provided above). This is so they can be printed with. Lowere resolution version for internet use are even more available.

Actually since these government photos are not copyrighted, there is no legal requirement that you give the credit line. ARS asks that you do. It is polite to do so. But many don't online or in print.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Garden Writers Meeting Boston
The Garden Writers Association regional meeting will...
clfo
How to get a picture book to a publisher?
I've created a picture book and am wondering how to...
lovetogarden
searching for gardening metaphors
Maybe you can help? I am collecting gardening/horticultural...
CalleLilly
help.my grass.is dying!
Hi, I just seeded my lawn 2 monts ago it was great...
Leelu1
Is there a botanical description for airy branching habit?
Hello, I am wondering if there is a botanical term...
kittynono
Sponsored Products
AF Lighting Elements Chrome Pendant
$124.20 | LuxeDecor
AF Lighting Candice Olson Chrome Table Lamp
$340.20 | LuxeDecor
Personalized Mouse Pad/Notepad
$40.00 | Horchow
SunStopper Sun Haven 10 x 8-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-10X8-MANUAL-D
Hayneedle
AF Lighting Elements Chrome 12-Light 26 Wide Chandelier
$304.20 | LuxeDecor
Achim Hamilton Valance Set - HTVL14LN12
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Sand Dollar Canvas Wall Art by John Golden - ART035HN
$67.99 | Hayneedle
SunStopper Sun Blocker 99 12 x 10-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNBLK-12X1
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™