How many words

John_D(USDA 8b WA)March 30, 2005

do you aim for when writing a garden book?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinetree30(Sierra Westside)

As many as are needed to make the point, and no more.

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 7:28PM
eddie_ga_7a(8)

Never having completed a book before I haven't a clue. But, in my book, I plan to use larger than average fonts for people like me whose eyesight is decreasing. Maybe you could look at some existing books and see if they give a word count or do a page count and take the average? Bear in mind you can make more than one point.

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 8:01PM
John_D(USDA 8b WA)

I've been doing 60,000 to 100,000 for different books. I was just wondering if any of you had some king of magic "golden mean." (A magic number of words that makes publishers eyes light up, I guess.)

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 10:05PM
alpiner(Albertaz3)

Depends on the direction of the publisher. Get an agreement ahead of times on the number of words and photos. Gardening books come in different formats and uses. Many gardening books are 50 to 60 thousand words (includes index, table of contents).

Too many words is a pain to editors. Everyone is always over the number of words for articles, columns, books,etc. and then complain when editors 'slash' out info. If you don't want a hatchet job on your writing then give the editor a clean copy coming in at the expected word count. The less tinkering by the editor the happier he is and the happier you will be.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Spring has sprung poem
My grandmother said she learned this poem in grade...
SHERRIBNC
Poetry - Why to plant a garden
Hello! I'm teaching a college speech class this week...
mmiesse
What should I do ?
Hello ! My name is Pastora McCann and I live in Chandler,...
pmccann60
Gardening blogs?
Anyone else have a gardening blog? I started one not...
Gardener_Wes
help.my grass.is dying!
Hi, I just seeded my lawn 2 monts ago it was great...
Leelu1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™