Help with poison ivy infestation!

littlebeemamaOctober 1, 2013

We recently bought a new house with a sizable backyard. However, I am dismayed to discover that the entire backyard is infested with poison ivy.

Last month, my DH went through with Round-Up about a month ago and basically scorched the land. And already, we are seeing new PI growth sprout forth.

Given the size of the land (about 50 x 80ft), I think it will be too difficult to pull up all the roots by hand. Since the yard is sloped and due for some leveling, I am considering filling on top of the land, then putting 3" of top soil and growing grass on top. Will this help combat the PI problem?

Please note all my neighbors have PI growing, and some of them (who don't have young children) don't do anything about it. So I think the seeds will always be floating around.

Many thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Well that and the birds love poison ivy fruit so they are always pooping them out.

Be aware that even when it is "dead" it can still affect you. Don't burn it or the smoke will get it inside you!

You can cover it up, but if it is still alive, it will still grow up and out of the soil.

Definitely teach your kids how to id it both in spring (bright new red growth), summer (green, mature leaves), and winter (sticks with a bit of zig-zag to them and white berries).

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 5:29PM
littlebeemama

So what is the best way to get rid of this stuff? Everyone keeps saying to "pull it out by its roots", but that seems impossible given the size of the land. (See attached photo).

All the brown stuff has been sprayed with Round-Up, but we already see a lot of new growth. So clearly herbicide is not enough.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 12:16PM
esh_ga

Sometimes woody plants need more than one application.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 11:04PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

You'll need a herbicide that is designed for woody vines such as RU Poison Ivy or Brush-B-Gone.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
Help Identifying Woodland Vine
Would be very grateful if someone can help me identify...
LongMountainMom
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™