Q'z on Oxallis...

unplantsavy(8)October 1, 2009

I have some Oxallis oregana, you know the yummy green kind, that seem to be doing.. ok. I have them where they don't get too much light and water them every couple days just a little bit. They have shallow roots and are in a pot. I was thinking about planting them some where but am worried about them getting damage in the winter. It's too late to plant them this year, but I do have some Oxalis Triangularis (purpel shamrock) that I planted and will need to do something for them!

Any suggestions? I know most people call them weeds, but I adore these little clovers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I don't understand why you think it's too late to plant the Oxallis oregana out. If its outside now (adjusted to outdoor conditions), it should do fine if planted out. These plants are generally listed as hardy to zone 6 or 7, and your profile says you are in zone 8. They would likely fare much better planted out than if kept in a pot inside.

The O. triangularis might be a little different story since (depending on the variety) it may not be hard, or may be only marginally hardy, in your area. In warmer climates, like yours, hardy plants can usually be successfully transplanted any time from mid fall to early spring. Marginally hardy plants are probably best transplanted in spring.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Invasive Cleaning
I figure the climate in the east is so favorable to...
redsun9
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™