New garden bed need some help

poet2daggerJuly 23, 2010

I am looking for a plant that will do well in texas, something less then 4ft high and 4 ft wide, something with flowers that bloom not only in spring but other seasons as well, Something that doesn't need huge amounts of water for when we have droughts, something that will do well in part shade, and something unique, I don't want just another very common bush, I want something that will make people stop and look and ask "What is that".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

If the part shade is in the afternoon then Russian Sage would be a good choice. It's low maintenance and blooms non-stop spring to fall. The first time I saw it, I really did stop and say "what is that."

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 6:46PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I like Russian sage too. Something else that has a definite 'WOW' factor, but is not as drought tolerant as Russian sage, would be 'dinner plate hardy hibiscus'.

Some of the other hardy hibiscus that are not dinner plate size are pretty amazing too. I've seen a red one which comes back every year that is out by a telephone pole near a church parking lot that I have to say "Wow" about, because it is always blooming and I don't think it gets much, if any, extra care or water. I'm gonna' have to take a picture of it sometime and see if it has some seeds :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Images for dinner plate hardy hibiscus ...

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 9:29PM
ocgf(Z8)

Erythrina herbacea (Coral bean)

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythrina h.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 9:34PM
castro_gardener

But Omar, my coral bean gets LOTS bigger than 4 x 4 !

Hot Lips salvia might be an option. Other salvias, too, which have nice blooms. Maybe a bright Knock Out rose ?

patty

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 6:30PM
ocgf(Z8)

Not everybody can afford feeding plants with steroids, Patty. To the best of my knowledge only you, Roselee, Jolana, Jim and RC do that.

Seriously, now. I don't know. What kind of Coral Bean do you have? The genus Erythrina has 130 species but most of them are not cold hardy.I'm pretty sure I have E.herbacea. There are a bunch of Erythrina species that are trees. In fact I saw one the other day at the Nature Center of San Marcos. It was about 12' tall and had an 8" caliper. However, E. herbacea is supposed to grow up to 48" (I checked on Dave's Garden). I've had my plant for 2 years and it has reached 4' by fall, then dies back in winter.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: E. herbacea

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™