six leafed ginseng plant

sengerOctober 24, 2007

i was out digging ginseng this year and came across a beautiful huge three prong plant. i notioced right off this was no ordinary ginseng plant. one of the prongs had six leaves instead of 5. i was wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of this or saw it. How rare is this.

I have attached a picture of the plant. notice the bottom right prong with six leaves.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/jond05/?action=view¤t=oddseng.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Four leaf clovers happen on plants that normally have three leaves. Mutations and variations happen. Here's a link to a website on 4-leaf clovers and shamrocks. It has the "estimate" of finding a 4-leaf clover is 10,000 to 1. I don't know how likely ginseng is to have extra leaves but I'd probably liken the 6-leaf to the 4-leaf clover.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Shamrocks & 4-Leaf Clovers

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 11:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
senger

yeah i feel so lucky to have found a plant like this. i mean as rare as ginseng is anyway. if the odds of this plant were about the same odds as a four leaf clover. then that would make this a really rare plant. makes me feel lucky. I carefully dug the plant up and replanted it in a place closer to my house so i could keep up with its growth from year to year. i also wanted it around for good luck lol.

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™