60 Ft hemlock tree

jones60October 4, 2006

I have a old tilting hemlock tree with about 25 ft of it is limbless, Its leaning right where the electric wire is to my house and its upper limbs are a couple feet from the house creating to much shade. I do everything for my animals but feel this one tree must come down, I have left a 50ft blue spruce up for the squirrels etc and had it cabled. Someone make me feel better about doing it?? but i do feel its time. Also will be trimming trees back but not down, Need more sun in the house. also have two cedars which i will be topping but not cuttng down again want to leave the cedars for bird protection year round.

Bethel CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

One of the animals you need to protect is you.
My church had a number of trees taken down that were too close to the building. I wasn't very happy about it at the time but it proved to be wise two years later when a microburst storm hit the area and dropped dozens of trees and limbs through powerlines and through the roofs of several houses in the area. You can still leave upright a portion of the tree as woodpecker habitat if it is safe to do so.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 4:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jones60

Thanks for that. I am planning on leaving both trunks up a bit since one already has a shelf for the squirrels from a lower growth from the main being taken off last year. Its the closeness to the electric wire that makes this seem right and its so large and tilting,

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
Has anyone tried this?
You know how asian bittersweet and wild grape vine...
adidas
mountain laurel (kalmia latifolia)
I have a shrub in my backyard and have determined it...
kypawpaw
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™