Is this ginseng? (photo)

Ratterrierfun(z5 OH)October 23, 2005

Walking in the woods with my family today, we saw several of this plant on a north slope. It grows 6-12 inches or taller. No berries that we could see, but there's plenty of wild turkeys around to eat them. It looks similar to photos I've seen of ginseng except for the lobes on the leaves. Can anyone help me identify this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nankeen(z8b Portland OR)

I recognize it, but don't know it's name. It's not ginseng, though.

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 8:03PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Black Cohosh? We don't have it here this far north but someone showed it to me once because we have "Blue" Cohosh here. The leaves are totally different though. Here...look at Black Cohosh and tell me if it's the same to you:

Black Cohosh

Black Cohosh

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 3:57PM
esh_ga

I don't think it is black cohosh (we have that a lot here), but I don't know what it is.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 7:41PM
Ratterrierfun(z5 OH)

Thank you for the replies. I have been looking and looking all over the web to find out what this plant is but nothing fits it! I don't believe it's black cohosh. It is not a bush or even close. Its growth habit is much like ginseng; they are indiviual plants with longish stems and the leaves grow palmate in groups of 5. But I don't think it's ginseng. Would it be in the ginseng family? I have searched for that too. It's really starting to drive me a little crazy! I did email the photo to someone at Ohio State U to see if they could tell me what it is, but no response yet.
ANyone else have any suggestions where I could search? Are there any dicot keys online?

Thanks again,
Rebecca

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 7:58PM
michel60(5B QC)

the leaf depicted looks like a member of the cafrrot family; namely a species of Sanicula

Michel André

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 9:56PM
Ratterrierfun(z5 OH)

Michel, thank you! I think I have finally identified this as sanicula gregaria.
Thank you very much!

Rebecca

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 10:06AM
voonfen_hotmail_com

halo, yesterday i went to a friend's house and i saw a plant which my friend told me that is black ginseng. i live in malaysia and i dont think that malaysia can plant a ginseng. the weather here is very hot. so any one of you can give me the answer "is there have a ginseng called black ginseng? please email to me in voonfen@hotmail.com thank you

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
Can I just sprout acorns in the ground??
Hi all, I know there are all sorts of fancy ways to...
catherinet
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™