tomato variety suggestions

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)July 29, 2011

I'm looking for tomatoes that will grow well and yield heavily under stressful conditions.

I'm looking for something that will grow well and produce well even in extreme heat (as in mid to high 80's to mid to high 90's). Also something that grows and yields well in less than ideal growing conditions, and is disease resistant (particularly to early and late blight).

Basically because my growing season is so short, I need something that is early maturing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulio

tough to meet the early blight and late blight requirement

Souix is an older variety that does well in stressful conditions. It was developed for the Nebraska/Dakotas so matures reasonably soon (70 days). It has good flavor too.

There are a number of hybrid hot set lines which are generally mid to late season types. Though these can set well, the heavy fruit load can make them more susceptible to early blight. Most of them lack flavor even though the seed catalogs claim otherwise.

Ill let others recommend more.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 6:32PM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

Well I mean, they don't have to set fruit heavily. I'm just looking for a variety that will set blossoms and fruit even when conditions are stressful.

I'm especially looking for varieties that yield well and will grow well even when it's very hot.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 6:44PM
seeker11(z6)

I'll second the recommendation for Sioux. It's an excellent tomato.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:55AM
Julie717

Sioux is good (my second-most productive this year), I've had the best luck with a variety called "Porter Cherry". They're not really cherry-sized, more like golf balls, but they make a good size for one sandwich. They are an acid-tasting tomato, not sweet, so some people don't like them (but I do). I have a bowl with at least a dozen of them in it right now and there are still more on the (one) plant. It started producing ripe fruit before everything but the Sweet 100 cherry plant, which pooped out early.

The temps here have been hotter than you mentioned, more like upper 90s- mid 100s, for about the last month, so there are probably more varieties that will grow in your temp range. This is really my first year to grow tomatoes, except maybe one or two plunked in a flower bed, so I don't have any experience with growing them in decent weather yet.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
My Druzba
must think it's halloween as it's short,stocky and...
jwr6404
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Dwarves ....They Do'nt Get No Respect !!
To my observations, most talks are about How Big their...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Turtle Slicer/Corer
$7.99 | zulily
Wild Tomato Vine Scented Soy Candle
| Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Bergen Tomato 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Planterworx Home True Square Planter - PW-202020-SILVER
$289.91 | Hayneedle
Cherry Tomato Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus